Re: DML BBQ Trail Ride suggestions?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 17:39:51 EDT

At 05:21 PM 6/6/02 +0000, you wrote:
>-- SNIP --
> So I'd really like to do it separate of the pit, but I'm still
> flip-flopping
>on wether to run 2 trucks at the same time or not. Since there would be
>timing
>equipment there, same as at a drag strip, it would be easy to compare
>"short times"
>along with ETs and speeds. That should be safer than running 2 trucks at
>a time
>(and would require less space, I'm still not sure where I could put it), but
>if running 2 trucks at the same time is the only way to go, then that's what
>we have to do. I just wanted to try and figure out if we really need to
>run 2 trucks or not...

IMHO, safety factor would be the main concern in running 2 at a time,
especially on a slippery surface. I've have had the pleasure of seeing
some of you 4x4 guys at the BBQ and it doesn't take much to get
the testosterone,adrenalin and competitive juices flowing! Polite way
of saying " you guys are crazy" :-P

Just imagine a race, where 2 trucks are in a close and both drivers
are feathering the pedal trying to maintain traction, and how hard it would
be to resist the temptation to floor the pedal to get to the line first :-)
Personally, I can easily imagine 2 trucks leaving the
lights sideways. Now that I've insulted everyone ...

I've sat in the pre-stage lane at Cayuga and watch guys bounce off
the rail guards leaving the light instead of lifting. Worst was seeing
a racer in the left lane head immediately towards the right lane on the
launch ... he did not get off the pedal but did gain control and went the
1/4 less about 100' in the right lane! Sure glad the driver in the right
lane saw what was happening, lifted immediately, and then tailed
the other car down the track.

You could make your 1600' strip into an 1/8th and still have a pretty good
slow-down cushion. I don't know what shape the strip would be in after it
has been raced on though :-)

Might be easier to bring in 2 mud wrestlers from Buffalo, charge admission,
have a draw to see who gets to clean up the wrestlers, and build up the
DML coffers :-)) But, then again, I wouldn't know ...

Bob