Re: RE: Re: RE: Installing 3.92 Gears

From: Mark (Gilpin.MCKnospam@lycos.com)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 15:54:54 EDT

I'm lucky enough to have several local yards that let you pull the part
yourself. This lets me see what it came out of, giving a good idea of how it
was treated and the mileage(written on the back of Pa. state inspection
stickers) As for the "set", I just pull the pan and look at the wear pattern
on the ring gear. Even and centered on both sides, good sign. Lash can be
felt by hand and judged pretty close with a little experience, or easily
checked at the same time you check the wear pattern. A little more detective
work like checking to see if the brake shoes are worn the same on both sides
(can you say brake stand?) and using a couple of bars to see how much
break-away the L/S has, and you can get a good idea of what you have. Of
course, I've been doing this kind of stuff for a long time, so the average
Joe may not know what to look for.

Mark