Re: Dash gone nuts - no bus? Need help fast!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 23:32:36 EDT

At 10:46 PM 6/7/02 -0400, you wrote:
>--snip--
>Went to the movies and left a cell phone plugged in and charging.
>Done it before, haven't had any problems. Started the truck and
>the gas gauge didn't come up. ABS and Air Bag lights stayed on,
>and a chime rang. I shut down and fired it up, and everything was
>OK.
>
>Got a little ways down the road and the ABS and Air Bag lights
>came back on, and the chime. Then all was well again.
>
>A little further along, the odometer started flashing, then read "no bus".
>ALL gauges went dead, and the ABS, Air Bag, and Low Gas light came
>on. Chimes again. Then it recovered.
>
>And then it was dead again. And stayed dead the rest of the way home.
>Overdrive doesn't respond either. -- snip --

Andy

Your symptoms are the same that I get when I run the '96 MP PCM
in my '97 Dak. In '96 and prior, signals from sensors for the dash
gauges and indicators came directly, for the most part, from the pcm.
In '97 and later, dash sensor signals (for the most part) go to the
pcm then via a bus to the Central Timer Module (CTM) then via bus
to the dash pod.

In my case, I'm not getting any signals from the CTM because
the '96 MP PCM doesn't send any there. In your case, I suspect
your dash pod is not receiving signals from the CTM. It may
be the bus between the dash and CTM, or it may be the CTM
itself or maybe the CTM has a faulty ground. The CTM is located
at the end of the dash on the passenger side beside the glove box.
I think the ground is behind the CTM or near the firewall there.

I think you have to remove the glove box (maybe whole dash?) to get
to the CTM. If problem remains intermittent, suspect faulty ground
wire.

HTH, Bob.