RE: Re: DML SR-71 Aircraft

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 10:52:53 EDT

<Ray, what is the attitude between space and the atmosphere?

Steve, I have looked and I'm thinking about calling JPL or Dryden Flight
research center to find out for sure, but according to a NASA web site and
the edge of space sciences web site, 100K ft to 115K ft is above 99% of the
earth's atomspheric mass. BTW, The record was set by the X-15, on Aug 23,
1963 at an altitude of 354,200 ft (67 miles) but as we all know the shuttle
goes way higher then that.