Re: DML SR-71 Aircraft

From: Michael Nott (wnott@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 19:15:42 EDT

In the summer of 1976 I was sitting in the living room of a (then) San
Diego-based air traffic controller. A few years earlier he had been working
the approach control facility that handled Edwards. He was waiting for an
SR-71 to be handed off from LA Center for return to Edwards. He heard
the -71 call LA for clearance to FL600 (60,000 feet). LA, not knowing what
he was working, told him that if he could get up there, he could have it.
Supposedly the -71 replied to LA, "Roger, out of a hundred for sixty."
Silence from LA Center. Laughter at Edwards Approach. True? Who knows,
but it makes a great story.

Mike Nott
LCDR, USN (Ret)
Orlando, FL