changing the filters in the 45RFE auto trans

From: Carter, Brian (brian.carter@texian.org)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 00:20:14 EDT

It is time to change the filters in the 45 RFE transmission on my 2000
QC 4.7.

The first time, I had purchased a transmission filter from O'Reilly's
AP, which turned out to be a mistake. Since I didn't have a manual at
the time, I ended up taking it to the dealer. Now that it is time again
and I have the FSM, I realize they gave me the wrong filter. I guess
they just assumed I had a 42RE or 46RE. They should have asked me what
kind of transmission I had. Anyway, they won't take the filter back now.

Today, I went by a dealership to pick up the correct filters, but they
only had the cooler filter. I have to go back tomorrow to get the
primary filter. The instructions in the manual seem pretty clear, but I
just want to make sure I have it right/verify a few things:

- there is no sealant on the gasket from the oil pump to the primary
trans filter (does it come with some sort of adhesive on it? - they
emphasize you have to put it on the oil pump first)
- the cooler filter is tightened just like a regular oil filter? 3/4-1
turn after gasket contact (there is no torque specification listed)
- does anyone know a standard filter wrench that will fit the cooler
filter? It is 2.5" from flat to flat.

The FSM also states that the 45RFE holds 14 quarts of trans fluid! That
is more than twice the 46RE trans.

I don't think this vehicle was a standard config, and I had to go clear
across the state (Texas!) to get it as close to what I wanted. So, it
has the 45RFE, which has better gear ratios (first is 1:3.00), but it
only has the 3.55 ratio trak-loc differentials. It didn't come with the
towing package, so it makes me wonder why it has the bigger transmission
- especially since it is only a 4.7L. I would have thought that if
somebody really wanted more power, they would have this trans, the 5.9L,
and 3.92 ration diffs. Is there another reason for the 45RFE, besides
the ratios?

Thanks,
Brian T. Carter