Re: U-joints?

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 07:53:25 EDT

Ok Bob,
      You didn't say if you experienced any steering difficulties. I would
start by checking the transfer case for proper fluid level and seeing if it
had a burnt odor to it. Is there a bottom drain plug on it? If so, let the
truck set for about an hour, get a piece of cheesecloth, quickly remove and
reinstall the plug getting some of the fluid on the cloth (don't completely
drain it!) Inspect the fluid for metal contamination. Also, do the same for
the tranny. If all that looks good, I know this is gonna sound far fetched,
but try jacking up the front and checking the U-joints (CV joints?) on the
front axle at the steering pivot point. My Dak is 2WD so I can't really
crawl underneath and look at my front end to get some more ideas. Let us
know what turns up, I'm a little curious to see what it is.

Good Luck,

Ray

PS: Checked out your web site, the truck looks great! You've done a nice
job with it.