HELP! 5th gear stuck!!

From: mike kulczycki (dakota1994@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 20:58:24 EDT

well i am now the proud owner of sam south's 95 beast of a dakota. it is
pretty sweet. this is the first stick shift i've had, so i was out driving
in it today and ran into a problem... all was going well, but every so
often i ground into 5th just a little when i was going into 3rd, nothing
that bad. the clutch was still in even. i go by a friends place to show
him, was cruising in 3rd before that. i was having a problem getting into
reverse before that, so i thought i would have him show me. all of a sudden
the truck is stuck in 5th gear... he drove it back to my house and now it
sits in the front... when it's in neutral it's in 5th... the only gear it
will roll in is when the shifter is in 5th gear. so looks like some linkage
or something broke in there. we moved the shifter around to try and break
it loose, but no luck. so anyone help!! what should i do... can this be
easily fixed?? or fixed inexpensively at a tranny shop?? by the way it is
a 95 5-speed with 120k miles on it attached to a killer motor...
thanks...

mike k
94 slt,cc,V6,2wd,auto, k&n,flowmaster 40 series, are fiberglass cover,
kenwood HU, CV, RF speakers, and so on..
http://www.hornok.cx/zig