Re: HELP! 5th gear stuck!!

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 21:55:48 EDT

Mike, the shifter pawl on my truck broke once before. It was from forcing
the shifter into gear at the dragstrip, it is not to expensive a part, but
it requires removing the trans and taking it to a trans shop, I took mine to
Liberty Transmission in Lincoln Park, MI. It cost about $125 to fix. It is
the device the shifter connects to actually move the forks to engage gears.
The trans shop told me that this is a common problem with these
transmissions.

If you have the same problem, you will not be able to take it out of gear
because you can't pull the fork back. Don't drive it! You will fry a $350.00
clutch. As for the grinding into 5th, it always did that, it was just a worn
syncros. If you have more questions, call Sam or me, he is already off list
and did not get your message.

I am sending you a picture off list of the part I am talking about.

Mark Kuzia
Mark's Diecast Inc.
flyboy01@comcast.net
http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/kuziamark.html
1995 Dakota "Fastdak"
~360ci, 5-spd, 8 3/4 rear / 3.90-SG
1994 Dakota "Crack Dak"
~318ci, 5-spd, 3.90 LS (bone stock, no mods)