Re: Service Manuals Project Attn: Gary

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 22:01:12 EDT

Gary Hedlin wrote:
> Andy, you couldnt be more wrong.

Precedent and copyright law says otherwise.

> When you purchase any copyrighted material, you do have the right to make a
> personal copy.

Yep - as long as YOU make the copy. You can't scan someone else's '99
FSM and send it to me as "my" backup.

> As long as you don't sell it.

Correction - as long as you don't *distribute* it, per the notice in the
FSM.

> Also, if someone does sell
> their origional copy, legaly they must destroy their backup copy.

No argument there - but how many people really do?

> Even Dahmler-Chrysler can be wrong. Their lawyers write them, puting the
> wording in their favor. I'm sure any good lawyer can pick it apart. It's
> all about wording.

Except that nearly every copyrighted work in the US has almost this
exact statement in it, and I'm sure it's been "tested" in court - and
the challenger lost. I'm also sure that DaimlerChrysler can put
together a far better team of lawyers to review and defend this than you
can hire.

I'm done with this discussion.

--
-andy