Re: Oil Analysis

From: Dennis & Becky Anderson (whatelse@qwest.net)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 01:35:02 EDT

I have used the services of a company called OILSCAN to
perform oil analysis on several occasions when I've
wanted to see if either the '96 Dakota or '97 Intrepid
suffered at all during the extended drain periods when
using Mobile 1 Synthetic. Neither one did - hurray !

Their analysis seems very comprehensive and the reports
are quite detailed. They ask pertinent questions about
the vehicle component - engine, trans, diff, hydraulics,
steering, etc. - and miles / hours on the component since
new / overhaul, last oil change, and filter replacement.
They ask what the specific oil is that is being tested,
sump capacity, oil additives used, coolant used, & filter.

The cost is $10.00 per sample. I have purchased pre-paid
mailers that include suction bellows and tubing which fits
inside the dipstick tube so it is very easy to administer.
A feature I really like is that one can give an I/D to the
vehicle being tested. When this particular vehicle is
tested again in the future, the subsequent reports include
the previous reports' results so one can track any trends.

Now the hard part - where does one obtain these kits ???

I've only found them at John Deere implement dealers.
So I hope you are located in or close to 'farm country'.

Good luck. Dennis A.