Broken bolt tips

From: Mark (Gilpin.MCKnospam@lycos.com)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 17:39:20 EDT

Something that also works very well are left hand twist drill bits. You
start drilling the broken bolt and most of the time the heat produced by the
drilling and the load generated will cause the bit to spin the broken piece
out. I keep a set for just that reason. If that dosen't work, you still end
up with a hole for an easy-out. Another tip, heat the area around the broken
bolt (if possible) with a normal air/propane (soldering) torch until it JUST
starts to get red, then, being very careful of a flair-up, cool it with
WD-40. This will draw the WD-40 down into the threads and help the part
break free.

Mark