Re: RE: Air Intake idea answer

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 03:30:03 EDT

Sorry Jon I put the wrap on at the same time as the building of the in take.
I'm not sure what your prototype intakes are made of but the PVC pipe also
helps with the slowing of the heat transfer. I'm going to rest test this
weekend. I rebuilt the cover around the air filter to block out most of the
air from the engine compartment. Keep in mind that the 2deg rise was when
moving and the heat from the eng. compartment was being blown through with
the movement.

--
*------------------------------Y2KOTA------------------------------*
Don Mallett

-----Original Message----- Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 02:06:40 +0000 (UTC) From: jon@dakota-truck.net Subject: Re: DML: RE: Air Intake idea answer

"Mallett, Donald B" <Donald.Mallett@bnsf.com> wrote:

: I know i'm a few days late with this but I was on vacation for the last week : and do most of my DML digest reading at work;}

: I put a foil faced insulated tape on my homebrew intake over two years ago : and I have measured the in coming air at the TB and found only 2 to 3 deg : rise in the air from the outside air temp. I have pics on my web site. The : tape has held up great for being two years old! I think the thermo wrapping : would work but a pain to work with and would not last under the hood without : some kind of covering on it.

Don,

Just out of curiosity, did you measure the temps before the wrap? It would be interesting to see how much of a drop the insulation gave you. The reason I ask is there are a couple of Daks now running around with "Steiger Performance" prototype intakes, and in doing some testing on a prototype cold air box, we noticed that the intake temp was only 2 degrees below ambient. We were pretty happy about that until we pulled the airbox and discovered that the intake temps were now a whopping 4 degrees above ambient! ;-) That was in ~50 degree weather though, I have yet to test it in the summer heat, which I plan to do soon. I have a hunch though that a cold air box isn't going to be worth the expense. ?

- --

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'