Re: How to de-sludge an engine?

From: Jim Miller WB5OXQ (wb5oxq@clearsource.net)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 09:11:21 EDT

In the mid 60s when I was in high school we used to drain the oil and put
back in 2 quarts of kerosene and 3 quarts of cheap oil and run the engine at
idle for about 15 minutes, drain and repeat once more the same way and then
change the oil and filter and put detergent oil back in. This oil will need
changing again an about 500 miles to get the remainder of the kerosene out
and that is about as good a job as you can do with out disassembling the
engine and it should not hurt anything as long as you don't have bad gaskets
or main bearing seals that might start leaking when the sludge is washed
away. Also DO NOT DRIVE OR REV THE ENGINE BEYOND IDLE SPEED WHILE THE
KEROSENE IN IT because the oil pressure will be lower than normal but not
low enough to damage the bearings at idle speed. I have done this on many
an old engine and had good luck. Using the fast flush that is sold by auto
parts stores is to risky in my opinion because I ruined the main bearings in
a 300 ci Ferd pickup with that stuff but never had a problem with the
kerosene. All the engines I de sludged ran noticeable smoother and quitter
with more power and also ran cooler.