RE: How to de-sludge an engine?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 09:45:51 EDT

That stuff does work...but be careful with it. It can dislodge larger
"chunks" of sludge and they will not run through the oil passages
(sometimes plugging them in the process - not good).

Here's a very easy (and very old) trick: Drain 1qt oil from the
crankcase, add 1qt ATF (Dexron works just fine), drive it for no more
than 50 miles, drain oil, change filter, and replace with your favorite
oil. While it's not as harsh as the solvent based engine cleaners...it
is a high detergent lubricant and does keep engines rather clean. (Ever
torn apart an automatic and seen how clean they are....at 100K+ miles?)
;)

- Bernd