Re: Ceramic coated headers

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 09:09:47 EDT

At 12:07 AM 6/30/02 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/26/02 9:51:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Tomdamit writes:
> >> Hi all. I live in SO. Calif. and it gets HOT here from time to time.
> >> Does anyone have experience with ceramic coated headers? I am concerned
> >> about increases in underhood temps. I wouldn't think of uncoated headers
> >> out here but I understand the ceramic coating headers run about 80
> degrees
> >> cooler than uncoated. Is that true from your experience? How much
> warmer
> >> still are the coated headers over stock manifolds? The same, noticeably
> >> warmer or hot? I've looked in archives but not finding anything on
> the subject.

I can't give you a temp. figure but my ceramic coated headers do run quite
a bit hotter than stock manifolds. On the other hand, they cool down a lot
quicker as well. As an example, I was running 1/4s at the Nats last year.
Ambient temp. in the shade was 100F. Engine bay heat was high enough
to melt the rubber gasket in the windshield washer bottle. That was with no
fluild in the bottle !

Of course, maybe all that heat was not from the headers but just from
a HOT DAK : - 0

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 3.92SG, 4,075 lb (truck, driver, 3/8 tank)
RW: 231.2 hp 340.0 torque PB: 14.313 95.05 mph