RE: trade my Dak?

From: tmfu (tmfu@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 20:31:22 EDT

> I am considering trading in my 2K DAK club cab SLT for a 02 Neon SXT, I
> should be able to walk out with some cash in hand also. ? I have
> two Daks I dont think I really need two. the Neon will be great for
driving
> to work 35 miles one way and way better gas mileage. This will keep miles
> off my 02 4x4 Quad Cab. I hate to part with my 2k it looks sweet and is
much a
> fake RT in looks now. In mint cond . Is the Neon a good car for
commuting?? and
> reliable?

Hmm... I finally just had a chance to look at a SXT Neon.. It is pretty much
an ES package with the Sport Appearance Group with some different badging.
The ES went away after 01. Most likely you'll get an automatic so it will be
a slug off the line(5spd's are much quicker).

Modding:
Most of the tricks you did with a Dakota will work on a Neon and will not
require Premium gas(Neon's have a knock sensor). You don't have to worry too
much about valve float the rev limiter will take care of things(most
AutoX'ers bounce off the limiter during a run). Aftermarket(and MP) goodies
are now just coming available.
Check out http://www.howellautomotive.com and
http://www.modernperformance.com
FAQ: http://www.neons.org

The gas mileage isn't bad. I do a 25-30mi commute plus wandering around
NJ/NY doing service calls( my Neon is a 2001(10/01) with 40k on the clock).
I do regular maint (every 6k Mobil1 oil and filter, tranny service @30k
increments). No problems at all plus I AutoX regularly! SInce I do a regular
commute both with my old Dak and the Neon I still fill up every 2-3 days but
I pay less than half of what I paid with the Dak which ran Premium gas only.
DC got their act together for the GenII Neon's. DOn't bother with the SRT-4,
there is a nationwide waiting list(a-la PT Cruiser?). If you need anymore
info just drop me a line..

Greg
2k1 Dodge Neon ES
Rahway, NJ