RE: Top end ticking - resolved

From: Rick Barnes (barnesrv@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 21:36:04 EDT

Victor, that is pretty cool.
Hey, I am in Snellville.
Rascal
98 5.2 SLT CC

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net] On Behalf Of
victor.williams@byers.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 9:25 PM
To: dml@dakota-truck.net
Subject: DML:Top end ticking - resolved

In case anyone ever encounters this.

I thought it would be good to check the slack in my timing chain since I
got almost 224k miles on my '95.
A fellow DMLer described a easy method.
Remove serpentine belt
Grab lower crank pulley and rotate to the left , mark spot at 12:00
rotate back to the right , mark at 12:00 measure the distance
that's how much the timing chain had stretched - I got 5/8"

When I put the belt back on and cranked it up I heard a distinct tick.
Finally isolated it to the belt tensioner.
The truck idles around 500 rpm
The ticking occurred about 144 ticks/minute
This did not make sense.
I marked a spot on the belt and every time the spot passed it was in
sync
with the ticks..

Turns out that I put the belt on backwards from the original rotation
AND
there were some small granules of sand / pebbles embedded in the belt..
must have been the combination of the rotation direction and the rocks.
I took a knife and dug out the foreign objects and the ticking stopped.

weird
Victor Williams / Marietta GA
'95 DAK CC, 318 , 5 sp lsd,K&N dropin,Jacobs Ign,Jardine catback. 224k
miles..