RE: new shocks

From: Kenneth Eng (keng@novadigm.com)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 10:18:45 EDT

Punch,

I swapped in 4 Pro-Comp ES9000 on my 98 CC 4x2 last month. Did all 4
corners in a couple hours. The tools I used were just a socket set, 3/8"
ratchet, box-end wrenches, and a rubber mallet. If you have an air ratchet
it will help out as there isn't much room to maneuver a hand ratchet in
certain places. The upper bolt on the rear shocks are the most difficult as
there isn't much room to maneuver a hand tool with any leverage. I just
took a box end wrench and a rubber mallet to work the bolt loose and to turn
it out. The bottom bolts on the rear presented little problem. The bottom
bolts on the front are also easy. To remove the single upper nut on the
front shocks you will need to grip the top of the shock's piston with a
small box end wrench. This is to prevent it from turning while removing the
nut under it. As I unscrewed the nut, I ran out of gripping surface on the
top of the piston before the nut came off. I ended up gripping the piston
with a small monkey wrench through the coil spring. This will scratch up
the piston but since it is going into the trash it didn't matter.

Good luck,
Ken