Re: Trans Temp - Useful Advice

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 23:41:32 EDT

Which is why every vehicle should have a transmission
temp GUAGE to show us such things. They could get rid
of the vehicle speed limiter to free up the cash they
need to give us our temp guage. I feel this deeply.
Steve P.
--- Ronald Wong <ron-wong@cox.net> wrote:

> Automatic transmission fluid will provide 100,000
> miles of service before
> oxidation occurs under normal operating temperatures
> of about 170°F. Above
> normal operating temperatures, the oxidation rate
> doubles (useful life of
> fluid is cut in half) with each 20° increase in
> temperature.
>
> The approximate life expectancy at various
> temperatures is as follows:
>

> 175°F 100,000 miles
> 195°F 50,000 miles
> 212°F 25,000 miles
> 235°F 12,000 miles
> 255°F 6,250 miles
> 275°F 3,000 miles
> 295°F 1,500 miles
> 315°F 750 miles
> 335°F 325 miles
> 355°F 160 miles
> 375°F 80 miles
> 390°F 40 miles
> 415°F Less than 30 minutes
>

> This information clearly shows why transmission oil
> coolers and the various
> maintenance intervals are recommended for severe
> usage.
>
> Above 300°F, the metals inside the transmission will
> warp and distort in
> varying degrees depending on the severity of
> overheat. Because this damage
> occurs and fluid life is so seriously impaired,
> rocking out of snow, mud or
> sand should never exceed a few minutes.
>
> Synthetic fluids are better but can still be
> compromised under extreme
> conditions.
>
> Ron
> 00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92 limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.