Re: DML BBQ: Oh the humanity!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 23:33:21 EDT

Jason Bleazard <jason.dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

: On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:21:04 -0400, jon wrote:
[...]
: I checked a bit more on their site, and you can get it in low range
: ratios of 3.8:1, 4.3:1 and now 3.03:1 for people who don't need ultra low
: tractor gears :-). Another cool thing is it has two shifters like that
: Willy's, so you can get 2wd low range (front or rear wheel drive). Or
: even front wheel high range, if you want (don't know why, but it's there).

   There you go, Dakota! :-) I don't think Jason was there at
the time (I think it was Friday) but Dakota was saying that what
he really wanted was the ability to have a 2wd low range. :-)
Looks like the Atlas II will give you that, and more. :-)
Plus it gives you a nice anti-theft feature - nobody but a hard core
offroader will be able to figure out how to drive the darn thing
away with all those levers! ;-)

: Personally, I think the low range T-case is a better solution than
: lowering the axle ratios when you put huge tires on. With the low gears
: in the case, you get awesome trail performance, and you can still drive
: it on the highway in high range just like before. Just my opinion.

  Yeah, that's a pretty nice benefit.

:> So anyway, I imagine you'd be looking at $2500 in parts for the
:> Atlas II swap, then there's the matter of labor, unless of course you
:> were to do it yourself. So I guess its closer to a $1000 difference but
:> may still be worth looking at...

: Apart from the driveshafts, I would think the labor would be almost the
: same as the labor to put a new 231 in. Although I've never called a shop
: and asked.

   Would the Atlas II have the same mounts as the 231? I was thinking
some brackets or custom mounts might need to be fabricated. Now that
I think about it, new driveshafts probably wouldn't increase the labor
time a whole lot since the stock driveshafts will have to be disconnected
on at least one end anyway, and I suspect a shop may just remove them
altogether.

  Dang I wish you lived closer Dakota, this sounds like a fun project! ;-)
(Yeah, that's what I need another project!) ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'