Re: Trans Temp - Useful Advice now Install?

From: John_Neff@Dell.com
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 11:10:56 EDT

Jon,
Thanks for the ideas. I'd love to install a deeper tranny pan, but with the
Mopar headers Y-pipe, this isn't an option. Removing the stock pan with the
Y in place is extremely tight as it is. I've already installed a Mr. Gasket
drain plug in my stock pan, so installing another for a temp sensor should
be cake, and I believe it's 1/8 NPT too. One of the local speed shops here
carries them in stock so that will be one less item I have to order. I'm
going to need to dig into my FSM to see how the flow of the fluid is pumped
through the cooler. If I decided to go with an inline sensor, what's the
best way to mount it without impeding fluid flow? Will I need to cut the
line going to the cooler and install an adapter, or is there something I can
insert between the existing line junctions?

Thanks again,
John

<snip>
I plan to add a trans temp gauge to my '70 Barracuda with a 727, which
evolved into the A518 and then the 46RH/46RE. I've got the parts
already, but I'm waiting until I install the reverse manual valve
body, which has to wait until the engine is done. What I did was to
get a deep sump tranny pan (though this would probably work with the
stocker too), and an adapter from Summit. I think the adapter is $5-7,
basically you drill a hole in the pan, put the adapter in place and
put a nut on the other side. This gives you a threaded 1/8 NPT hole where
you can mount the sensor. I plan to mount the sensor on the side of the pan.
As long as the sensor is in the fluid and is relatively protected from
something hitting it (especially important
on a 4x4) it shouldn't make a lot of difference where its mounted.
(If possible you may want to mount it somewhere near the pickup
just so you know about what the temp is going into the tranny. If
you are more interested in what the temp is coming out of the tranny, you
may need to install it in-line, before the cooler; I'm not sure if the fluid
is "pushed" through the cooler after the tranny or
"pulled" through before the tranny; that will make a difference...)
You may be able to find the pan adapter on summitracing.com, but if
you'd like me to look up the part number for you just let me know and
I'll take a look when I get home.
As far as web pages go, well I'll have it up on my web page
eventually, but probably won't be for a while. :-) When I was
doing research into how to mount a tranny temp gauge I scoured
the web and couldn't find much of anything - I was about to try my
hand at brazing an NPT port into the tranny pan. I stumbled across the
Summit adapter by chance and it looks like it will do the trick very
inexpensively. The only catch is that it seems like a lot
of tranny temp gauges have probes larger than 1/8 NPT. I'm using a Nordskog
digital gauge (matches the rest of my cuda's guages) which has a 1/8 NPT
sensor.
<unsnip>