Re: Head surgery successful!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 12:49:11 EDT

Hi Sam.

At 10:44 AM 7/10/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Did a Crower custom cam built around my 1.7s, Mopar Perf.
>RT heads (1.92 small valve) bolted on straight out of the box)--
>Results- 283 hp & 325 torque-- The biggest difference, the HP
>and torque curve comes on much sooner, then runs a lot higher
>(254 @ 4600 rpm before, 283 hp @ 5400 rpm now--- Truck makes
>nearly 85 hp & 95 ft. lbs. MORE than when stock at 5400 rpm!)

Thanks. Those peak rpm figures gives me something of a reference
to keep in mind. Pre-ported heads, my torque peaked at 4400 rpm
and hp peaked at 5000 rpm.

>Ran at the track this past weekend with some crappy tires--
>14.8 (major major wheelspin) @ 98.7 mph! then a 14.4 @ 98.5,
>then ran a set of 28" Hoosiers I borrowed-- 14.19 @ 97.9 then
>a 14.18 @ 97.8 mph! With a set of 26" MTs I should be in the
>13.99 or better range. I'm going for a 2400 rpm converter too!

Congrats! I went from 28" BFG drag radials to 26" drag radials
and raised my rpms going through the line from about 4500 rpm
to 5000 rpm.

I put in a 3000 (flash) stall converter last year because my peak
torque rpm was 4400 rpm. A 4000 stall would have been more
ideal for the track but not with a daily driver. The converter
is from SMR Transmissions in Ont. (owner Pat Storey who
was running a '97 hemi Dak in Super Stock). You don't notice
the converter on the street until you get on the pedal and then
it'll flash up 3000 rpm. Torque multiplication factor is about
2.0 to 2.2 at the flash rpm as opposed to the stock 1.6-1.8
or the 2.5 of a pure race converter.

>For people wanting to go this route (small valve, lower peak RPM
>than the 2.02 big valve crowd) I will be selling the complete setup
>very soon as a kit if there's interest (have a couple people already)..
>Kit will include roller cam (Crower), *1.7 Roller kit/rev kit, *High Perf.
>Roller Lifters, *1.92 valve RT heads, *timing chain, *all gaskets.
>*Delete items for people with these components already on hand.
>Sam www.socaldakota.com

For once, there were a lot of trucks at the Grand Bend meet on
Sunday, about 24 in the Truck class and 8 or 10 in the Sportsman
class (?) (14.0 & slower). All the R/Ts went into Sportsman
(maybe there was prize money there) and all but one (14.9s)
were running in the 15.3s to 15.8s. Too bad they keep to themselves.
I don't even think that they're on the R/T list. I'm sure your kit would
generate quite a bit of interest with them. Oh well.

There was one truck there quicker than mine. It was a small D50
with a 340 in it. He ran a 13.2 in the time trials but broke something
at the line in the first round of eliminations (didn't move an inch).

Let me know how things progress with your Dak. Thanks.

Bob