Re: Dakota won't go above 800 rpm

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 07:26:51 EDT

At 08:16 PM 7/12/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I just swapped the engine in my Dakota ('94, 4x4, 5.2)
>and I can't get it to go over 800 rpm. I put in a used engine
>from a reputable place. It was hard to get started, and I had
>to keep pumping the pedal slightly for about the first minute
>or so. After that, it will idle at ~400 RPM. It will slowly let
>the RPMs come up over a period of several minutes, but
>even at full throttle it won't go above 800 rpm. I've got good
>oil pressure and the cooling system is full. It also seems
>to be running very hot, as the temp gauge slowly climbs
>towards 'hot'. The radiator is new, as is the thermostat.
>The 'Check Engine' light only gives me code 12, which
>doesn't help. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
>Thanks. Warren

Going on the assumption that the rebuild is aok, my
guess would be that there's something wrong in the
fuel delivery system and the engine is not getting
enough gas. A lean condition will raise temps. quickly
and easily and this may account for your "running very hot".
HTH

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG