Re: Dakota won't go above 800 rpm : Update

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 17:52:33 EDT

At 04:25 PM 7/13/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I put a fuel pressure tester on it and I get 35-40 lbs as it's idling.

That sounds normal for your model year. The proper amount
should be getting up to the fuel rails. Question now becomes
is the proper amount coming through the injectors.

>Here's a weird thing: I can monitor the sensor output as the engine
>is running, but I can only 'scan' the computer once, then I get
>'Vehicle is not responding'. In order to get another scan, I have to
>re-initialize the scanner. I'm using an Auto X-ray EZ Link scanner.

I tried this scanner many years ago. I often got this message on the
first day and returned it. I think it was because the scanner's connector
that plugs into the Dak's data line connector is really poorly made
(poor manufacturing quality control). I went to a high-end (read expensive)
scanner and had no problems.

It could be, for whatever reason, that the timing is out of whack but I
would have expected that there would be noises (misfiring, etc.).

Do you have a reading for the tps, the pulsewidth of the injectors and
the MAP sensor at and just after 800 rpms? Is there any smoke coming
out of the exhaust pipe when it is stumbling?

Bob