question: painting fiberglass

From: Jack Snodgrass (jack+dml@cybermail.net)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 09:39:07 EDT

I have a fiberglass front grill on my 97 Dak.
It's gray, unpainted fiberglass.

I want to paint it black. I'm thinking that I'll
paint the main part gloss black. The metal
mesh flat black, and maybe paint 1 or 2 white
stripes on the mettal mesh where racing stripes
would go if I had them. If clear cloat is really
clear... and would leave the gloss 'glossy' and the
flat 'flat', I'd spray it with clear coat too.

Can I clean it relly well, and use 'auto' spray paint
from walmart... or do I need to have a special paint
that goes on fiberglass?

Would I be better off in the long run having an
autobody shop paint it for me?

I don't want it to look crappy... but I don't
want to spend $100 when a can of spray paint cost
$3.

Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - jack