Exhaust leak diagnosis and tuneup

From: Wes Weems (wweems@fix.net)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 15:17:47 EDT

I got a couple questions... I know troubleshooting exhaust leaks can be
a nightmare... But I suspect I have what sounds like a bit of a leak. At
first I was convinced it was cat problems/muffler problems, but I
suspect its either a) exhaust leak IN the pipe or where the pipe
connects to the manifold on the left side, or b) is in DIRE need of a
serious tune up.

So question 1) Anyone have any advice on finding an exhaust leak?

And 2) My truck is running what appears to be a tad lean... Not the
usual rumble but more of a humm. What are some sensors I can check to
make sure everything is ok. I've changed out wires,plugs,cap/rotor,oil
etc within the last oh 10k mi. could it be that I need new fuel
injectors, or is that unlikely? I just cant think of what would possiby
make it run like this but my sensors.

Oh yeah, one last thing, my dak is a 3.9l v6, and it has o2 sensors
before and after the cat... Somone said that replacing the rear o2
doesn't make a diff, and that if it went bad, the check engine light
would ocme on, but wouldn't change running conditions, is that correct?

wes