Re: Re: WARNING: The Petroleum Equipment Institute

From: Granpa Silver89 (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 02:13:22 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote: That is one of my pet peeves... Not people
who put their gas cap
> in the nozzle, but gas stations that remove the plate at the bottom
> of the nozzle so that it won't stay on. These nozzles have been
> carefully designed by the manufacturer, and if a nozzle were to
> slip out of a car and hit the ground, it *would* shut off, unlike
> having a gas cap wedged in there. I realize that it is probably not
> the stations themselves but some stupid law or regulation somewhere
> forcing them to do it, but I find it highly ironic that such an
> action (tampering with the nozzle so that it can't be locked on) which
> is probably done under the auspices of safety is in reality causing
> people to go to great lengths to bring back the missing capability,
> and creating a *much* more unsafe situation than was there in the
> first place. (Sounds pretty typical of the success of a government
> solution, actually...)
>
> I'll admit, I have wedged my gas cap in a nozzle to hold it on, but
> only in the bitter cold when the wind was blowing and I didn't have my
> gloves with me. I'm not about to get frostbite because some idiot
> behind a desk decided that it would be a good idea to purposely break a
> perfectly safe, functional piece of equipment. I would never walk away
> from the pump when doing this though.
>
> Its always such a pleasant surprise when I drive outside of New York
> and get to use fully functional gas pumps in other states!

I hear you Jon! All the pump nozzles that I have used here in Chicago
do NOT have the locking gizmo. I just got home tonight from a trip
north into Wisconsin - and all across the state there - the locking
parts are in place. Who knows why people think they need to be
removed... I for one, like to use the time that the tank is filling, to
wash my front windsheild. I'll 'prolly get chewed out from folks who
say "Never ever leave the pump while fueling!" - but perhaps is it the
design of the Dak's filler neck, or simply the style of nozzle they use
on gas pumps - but I have never ever had a nozzel fall out. And I always
  make sure it fits in solid. I have come across nozzels that force you
to hold them, because of their design. They will not stay in the tank
filler on their own.

--

"Hey Ray! Granpa done gone'n hit another light pole!"

Granpa - (Silver89)

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow