Re: Another O2 thing on Ebay

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 09:38:20 EDT

>Is that tornado thing worth it in the mean time while I save for a SC ?

>Marty

I can only relate my own personal experience. Last Christmas I purchased a
Tornado for my 98 Dak, 3.9L 5 spd. I installed it the night before I left
on a trip to North Carolina. Installation took all of 5 minutes. I have a
45 mile one way commute to work every day so most of my mileage are highway
miles. I was getting about 19 MPG at 55-62 MPH. After installing the
Tornado, the butt dyno said I had a slight increase in horsepower. The gas
gauge said I definitely got an increase in fuel mileage. I ran the same
speeds on my trip and I got on average 23 MPG. Now with all the budget mods
I've done (K&N Air filter, relocating the IAT, calibrating the TPS, 180 deg
t-stat, pulled out the rubber flap, re-ducted the air inlet to the filter
box, S-Bolt) and running with the Tornado installed, I run usually 65-70
MPH. Right now, I'm getting nearly 25 MPG and the butt dyno really says I
got a definite increase. The Tornado cost about $70 and you should check
the application closely before you install it. When I ordered and received
mine, I didn't get what I ordered. When I called the company tech support,
they told me the one I actually received was a better fit for my truck and
they gave me specific instructions on installation which were totally
different then the ones in the box. I will say this, you are not going to
get turbo charger or supercharger performance from a $70, 3 min install add
on part. You will get a little something and if you are happy with what you
get then that's good enough. It all goes back to what Bernd has preached
and I happen to agree with him: most mods work better when combined with
others and not very well when done alone.

Ray Irons

Dover, DE