RE: Highway cruiser how-to???

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 09:17:59 EDT

Hey Punch!

First I would suggest a tonneau cover. Very light weight but keeps the wind
from gathering at the tailgate. I have gained 1.5mpg after installing mine.
I have re-verified those numbers often by simply rolling up the tonneau and
driving with the tailgate up. It never fails. I think the people that wrote
the study about this issue must have been funded by the oil companies ;) My
checkbook knows the difference!

As for the gearing, I would not go above the 3.92 gear set. 4.10's will turn
higher rpm's at the same speed, using more fuel. I am only pulling around
2200lbs with our pop-up camper, but the 3.92's are perfect. My '92 has the
standard 3.55's (which I'm guessing yours does) and I have pulled this
camper with it. Going into a head wind, it felt like I was driving a Yugo ;)
The 3.92's will help dramatically.

I have no experience with lowering the vehicle, other than that defeats the
purpose of a truck. The sway bars should not impact highway travel, only
cornering.

HTH!
Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 256,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1 - 48,700mi!
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/DnuuSncssJujU