Silence of the muffler

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 00:49:37 EDT

About a week ago there was a thread about mufflers sounds produced and
reverberations sound in the cab was touched on a little. I posted that the
rear mounts on my dual, out the sides behind the rear wheels were only solid
metal with thin washers bolted to the frame. I asked if this type of
mounting would pass a lot of noise into the cab. Also I asked if changing
these solid mount to the clamp on style with rubber isolator would help.
Well for about $3.50 with tax and 1.5 hours labor, the new mounts went in.
With these mounted the noise in the cab was cut by about 75%. When the
engine was pulling at 1800 to about 1300 RPM I use to get this reverberation
that would almost drown out normal conversation. That is about 90% gone
now!!!!

I'm wondering why I didn't do this a long time ago ;-P

--
Don Mallett