Re: O2 sensor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 17:35:08 EDT

"Gary Hedlin" <ghedlin@theramp.net> wrote:

: I need to know if I would be ok if I drove my truck without a post cat o2
: sensor for a few days. Reason being is I replaced the sensor a month ago,
: and I had the check engine light come on yesterday. I pulled the sensor,
: took it back to AZ, they tested it and told me it was defective. They said
: they would give me a new one, but it would be a few days for them to get it.

: I have a damn doctors appointment in St. Louis tomorrow that I cannot miss.

   It won't hurt the truck any, but it'll keep the check engine
light lit, and you'll get a "leaky exhaust" sound, but beyond
maybe blowing some carbon up on your undercarriage, it won't
harm anything. Actually, if you have an old spark plug laying
around, you may be able to thread it into the hole to seal it
up which will quiet things down a bit and take care of the leak
anyway. (I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the O2 sensor
threads are the same as the threads on a standard spark plug, but
I haven't actually tried it myself so I can't verify that.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'