Re: Attempt no. 3 failed, sort of....

From: Got-Speed \(Marty\) (Got-Speed@cox.net)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 08:34:09 EDT

I used to have the same problem with my 95 Eagle Talon ESi.
It would throw the serpentine belt every so often and end up eating the
belt. I tried replacing the tensioner pully a few times and it never helped.
Altough my pully never fried. The odd thing was it all started happening
after I got it back from the dealer where I had my head rebuilt (bad valve
stem seals). I was later told by a few people that this was due to "crank
walk", basically the bearings on the crank were shot which allowed the crank
to move forward and backward just enough that at high rpms the belt was
fluctuating and would slip off the edge of the pully. It is possible that
something along these lines has occured.

Marty
http://members.cox.net/got-speed