Tranny or Diffy Clunk noise.

From: jay & dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 19:15:51 EDT

Yesterday I posted a question about either my Transmission or Differential
making a clunking noise when I shift from 1st to 2nd in my 97, 5 spd. Since
no one got back to me I thought I would throw out 2 more questions. On a
97, 318, 5 spd, 4x4, what is the piece on the front of the rear drive shaft
going into the transfer case that looks like a "harmonic balancer"? This
piece seems loose when moving the drive shaft by hand.
Also on my 5 speed transmission looking at it from underneath you have the
drain plug and to the passenger side you have the fill plug. But on the
driver's side about 8 inches up there is a brass cylindrical piece that
connects to another piece about 4 inches long connected to the transmission.
The wire from this piece looks like it goes to the clutch pedal mechanism
that goes through the fire wall just under or to the side of the steering
shaft. The reason why I'm asking about this piece is because it is cracked
and broken and would this have any effect on how my clutch pedal works ?
It doesn't matter how I turn it (if that does anything) the clutch just
doesn't feel right.

Thanks for any responses
~Jay