Re: Re: cryogenics

From: Hemipower@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 14:51:50 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/02 1:37:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ghedlin@theramp.net writes:

> Man, this sounds like a total scam!

It is actually a legit beneficial process.
The proper term is Controlled Thermal Processing.

> If you happened to stay awake in your high school science classes, you
> would
> have learned that any time you freeze metal objects they become more
> brittle.

Controlled thermal processing involves more than dunking your
rotor into a vat of liquid nitrogen.

  Then add to the fact as soon as you put them on and drive to the

> neigborhood quickie-mart for a slurpie, you're instantly heating them back
> up (caused by the friction when the pads rub agianst the rotors to stop the
> truck) When metal expands and contrats because of the fluxuation in
> temprature, the rotors are prone to warp.

It it then precisly brought back to ambiant temp. : )

They don't hand them back to you zub-zero.

Going from -1000 degrees to

Actually round -300.

> 2-300 degrees sounds like disaster waiting to happen!

The process actually changes the molecular properties of the treated
part. Los Alamos laboratories are now studying it as we speak. it is a very
new process, hence, not hearing about it back in HS. : )

The labs know it works, they just have to figure out how.
It reduces wear significantly and helps dissipate heat
evenly to prevent warping.
The Army has very good success with treating chopper gears and you
will also find the process all throughout the racing industry.

As others have said, the part also needs to be a quality part
as it will not make up for bad heat treating.
Get good rotors and then have them treated.