Re: Gauges

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 06:49:13 EDT

Morning Marty,
      I have the Nu Image Gauges faces in my 98 and they're ok. I was
impressed with the way they looked in the catalog and on the web but, IMHO,
they aren't as nice in person. For starters, the AC controls face has a
small spot at the top that hasn't stuck down completely and lets a small
spot of light shine up at the under side of the dash lip, That's probably
my fault for not getting it perfectly aligned when I stuck it down so I
don't consider that a problem from Nu Image. I have a bigger issue with the
instrument cluster face. You can hardly see the little warning lights (low
fuel, cruise, etc) at the bottom of the gauges in daylight cause they are
yellow and don't show up very well against a silver background. Also, the
installation instructions were off slightly. The short versions is draw a
picture of the gauges showing their position at cold start up. For this I
suggest taking a digital camera and taking a snap shot of the way the
gauges read, much better and easier to use. Then remove the gauge cluster,
clear cover plate, needles, stock backing plate. Installation is in the
reverse order of removal, replacing the needles according to the diagram
you drew at the start of the procedure. After trying for 2 days to get all
the needles adjusted properly, especially the speedo and tach, I found out
from the company you are supposed to re-install the cluster with the clear
cover plate off, start the truck and let it idle. Then replace the needles
according to the diagram. I also had a problem with the black out masking
on the back side of the gauge face. When I received mine, there were 2
pieces of protective paper over the adhesive. I got the first one off with
no problem but the second one was more firmly glued down. After some gentle
pulling, I got it to come off and proceeded with the install. I did mine on
a Saturday morning and didn't find out till I left for work at 4:30 AM
Monday that when I removed the second piece of backing paper, it pulled off
3 small triangle of the black out masking. I called Nu Image and they gave
me a bit of trouble about getting a replacement. They wanted me to send
them the gauge face so they could see it before they would cover it under
warranty. I asked them what I was supposed to use for gauges in the mean
time and they said to re-install the stock face. I told them I threw it out
when I installed the Nu Image gauge face. After some negotiations (read
arguing) they agreed to send me a new gauge face. I also am not very
impressed with the way the light glows around the center post of the
needles, or the way light bleeds through from one warning light indicator
to the other at night. The stock gauge face has small foam squares around
each of the warning light indicators to help seal in the light which the Nu
Image doesn't. I have the new instrument cluster face plate that Nu Image
sent me, I just haven't installed it. I am considering going to the
(gulp!) dealer and getting the stock AC controls cover and ordering the
Indiglow gauge for the instrument cluster. I'm gonna wait until I see how
Eric's turns out and see if he can get some pics of it at night. Sorry for
the long tirade, but you did ask.

Just my $.02 worth,

Ray Irons
Dover, DE