Re: Gauges

From: Got-Speed \(Marty\) (Got-Speed@cox.net)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 08:45:32 EDT

Wow, I shoulda asked *before* placing my order LOL
No offense, but I am hoping you just got a lemon. Like I said I really
wanted them for matching up to my silver/aluminum dash. My brothers dak has
a white indiglo from procarparts.net and we don't like it. In the daytime it
is too shiney and reflective, and at night it bleeds light through.
Have you considered putting foam on the back of the new gauges to keep the
light where it should be ?
I think I will give that a shot. Thats another reason I went with the
nuimage, you really cant see what warning lights are there untill they light
up. The white faced and reverse indiglo have words right on the front. My
neighbor made his own gauges for his merkur and they came out pretty nice, I
will get with him when mine come in and fix some of the problems with them.
I will let everyone know. You wanna sell that second one you got in ?? I can
always return mine :)
BTW- I do like the reverse indiglo that Gib has, it just won't match my dash
! Has anyone thought to do the gauge calibration to put the needles back ??
You know the turn the key on-of-on thing. (99+)

Marty
http://members.cox.net/got-speed

<raymond.irons@gm.com> wrote in message

> Morning Marty,
> I have the Nu Image Gauges faces in my 98 and they're ok. I was
> impressed with the way they looked in the catalog and on the web but,
IMHO,
> they aren't as nice in person. For starters, the AC controls face has a
> small spot at the top that hasn't stuck down completely and lets a small
> spot of light shine up at the under side of the dash lip, That's probably
> my fault for not getting it perfectly aligned when I stuck it down so I
> don't consider that a problem from Nu Image. I have a bigger issue with
the
> instrument cluster face. You can hardly see the little warning lights (low
> fuel, cruise, etc) at the bottom of the gauges in daylight cause they are
> yellow and don't show up very well against a silver background. Also, the
> installation instructions were off slightly. The short versions is draw a
> picture of the gauges showing their position at cold start up. For this I
> suggest taking a digital camera and taking a snap shot of the way the
> gauges read, much better and easier to use. Then remove the gauge
cluster,
> clear cover plate, needles, stock backing plate. Installation is in the
> reverse order of removal, replacing the needles according to the diagram
> you drew at the start of the procedure. After trying for 2 days to get all
> the needles adjusted properly, especially the speedo and tach, I found out
> from the company you are supposed to re-install the cluster with the clear
> cover plate off, start the truck and let it idle. Then replace the needles
> according to the diagram. I also had a problem with the black out masking
> on the back side of the gauge face. When I received mine, there were 2
> pieces of protective paper over the adhesive. I got the first one off with
> no problem but the second one was more firmly glued down. After some
gentle
> pulling, I got it to come off and proceeded with the install. I did mine
on
> a Saturday morning and didn't find out till I left for work at 4:30 AM
> Monday that when I removed the second piece of backing paper, it pulled
off
> 3 small triangle of the black out masking. I called Nu Image and they gave
> me a bit of trouble about getting a replacement. They wanted me to send
> them the gauge face so they could see it before they would cover it under
> warranty. I asked them what I was supposed to use for gauges in the mean
> time and they said to re-install the stock face. I told them I threw it
out
> when I installed the Nu Image gauge face. After some negotiations (read
> arguing) they agreed to send me a new gauge face. I also am not very
> impressed with the way the light glows around the center post of the
> needles, or the way light bleeds through from one warning light indicator
> to the other at night. The stock gauge face has small foam squares around
> each of the warning light indicators to help seal in the light which the
Nu