Re: Trouble Code

From: Greg (gsutinen@wi.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 21:21:12 EDT

I was just in the dealer today to find out why my check engine light came on
this morning. P0442 is what came up. Had this one about 6 months ago also.
They checked it out back then, reset it, and sent me on my way telling me it
was my gas cap. But to keep an eye on it incase it was something more.This
time when it came on I checked that right away. I could see rust stains
around the vent on the inside of the cap. Went in after work and they pulled
the code and checked out the cap. It was junk. Rust was keeping it from
sealing properly. Replaced the cap and off I went. Now let me ask this, my
2001 CC 4x4 4.7 auto is only 1 1/2 years old with 14000 miles on it. Is this
the life expectancy of a gas cap on a modern vehicle? I hope not. Can't ever
remember having to replace a cap before and I've had some pretty old cars
and trucks.

Greg
'01 CC 4x4 4.7 auto

<raymond.irons@gm.com> wrote in message

> <snip> Anyone ever get P0442 code?
>
> I found a new web site (new to me anyway) that will give you the
> description for all the codes. It's http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp
>
> When I put in Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth and your trouble code P0442 it gave
> me :
>

> Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth P0442 Small leak detected in the evaporative purge
system

> I don't know for sure how it relates to hard acceleration, or hard
braking, but I'd start looking at all the hoses for cracks on the evap
system.