AC/Heater fan problems with 94 Dakota

From: Nicholas G. Aumen (naumen@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 23:33:01 EDT

Help!

I have a 94 Dakota with a 318, and a 5-speed (and, 185,000 miles!). The
AC/Heater fan started to go out a couple of months ago. First, the low
and medium speeds quit, then after about a month, the high speed quit as
well.

Thinking it was the slide switch on the dash, I replaced the entire
climate control unit that includes the switch. Still no fan.

Now thinking the problem was a bad fan motor, I tore out half the inside
of the truck to get to the fan motor. I took the motor out, hooked both
leads directly to the battery, and the fan works.

Therefore, I guess the problem has to lie between the switch and the
fan. Does anyone know if there is a resistor(s) between the switch and
fan that could have gone bad, or is the resistor in the switch itself? I
tried to follow the wires under the dash, but everything disappears into
a large wiring conduit, and I hesitate to take that apart to trace
things. I have a third-party shop manual, and the wiring diagrams are
limited and of no help.

If anyone has the appropriate page of the genuine shop manual wiring
diagram, I would love any information that might be provided.

Thanks!
Nick