Re: Re: RE: Re: Howdy from the New Guy

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@directvinternet.com)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 00:47:41 EDT

I think the only reason these see an increase in performance is that they
use a higher flowing filter and they also use a less restictive way to get
air into the intake. On my '96 the factory air can was very restirctive and
just by adding a 14x3 roound open elemnt filter on top there was a
performance increase. This wasn't sucking through the fender but rather hot
air right off the engine. On my '01 just by taking out the curved thing
going to the fendor I noticed a little increase in performance. This was
also coupled with a k&n drop in filter. I am pretty sure there would be
better gains by just going to a good cat-back setup and even better by going
with a k&n setup. Remember, factory engines, at least modern, are almost
always resticted for emissions purposes. Adding a little more air (it's
important to open up the exhaust) helps the engine flow better and thus
produce a little more performance. I don't believe you need to really do to
much to just see the benefit of this. Of course if I were to run a blower,
nitrous or whatnot these woule become a must. They do not have to be done
but they do improve the truck to an extent and it's always a personal
preferance. The only thing I wouldn;t do on the 4.7 is add aset of headers
since a few that have have found them to not really be any better than the
factory ones. They might look better but I think the factory ones in this
case already flow pretty well.

Jeff Durling
'01 4x2 QC SLT+ 4.7