Re: Was New Guy, Now FIPK

From: Gary Hedlin (ghedlin@theramp.net)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 01:03:06 EDT

See, thats kinda where I'm coming from. The FPIK's main feature is the heat
sheild. Yes, It does guard agianst the direct heat from the engine.
However, you still have one large chunk of steel heating the surrounding
metal parts. All of these hot parts heat up the air BIG TIME.

Just look at a radiator in an older house. The radiators heat the rooms
beautifully. The fact that the boilers are not too efficent is why they're
not used too much in new house.

Annyway, The FPIK still uses the stock air inflow setup, going through the
passenger fender. Keep in mind the fender is metal, being heated by the
heat from the engine. So, the air is already hot BEFORE it enters the FPIK.
So what use is the heat sheild?

On my homebrew setup, I have the cone filter right by the 2 AC lines by the
radiatior. I did this for 2 reasons... 1. by being so close to the front
grill, I'm getting the air before it has a chance to be heated by the
engine. 2. By being by the front grill, the air is rammed into the intake
more than a FPIK would be. Remember, the cone filter is by the wheel well
on a FPIK setup. Plus I don't have a heat sheild blocking air coming
straight in. Any time you route air through bends, the air looses
velocity.

 So, I'm not waisting the $250 on a FPIK!

Gary Hedlin
"The Crazy Quadraplegic"
ghedlin@theramp.net (business)
ragingquad@yahoo.com (personal)
**Also Webmaster For**
http://garyhedlin.com
http://socaldakota.com
http://scsilverdak.com
http://assistivetechnologies.com
...And Many More!

""Ronald Wong"" <ron-wong@cox.net> wrote in message

> The FIPK doesn't allow that much more air in, but with the heat shield, it
> will let cooler air in. As for the rubber flap it doesn't hurt to take
that
> out anyway to let more (and cooler) air into the engine compartment. By
the
> way, that will also help the FIPK since the filter does end up not too far
> away from there. As for ram air, that isn't going to be effective 'til
> you're up beyond 120 mph.
>
> Ultimately though, what I would like to do is ram 45ºF air in. I would
like
> to have bigger valves like on R/T heads, a ported manifold, and bigger
cam.
> Of course, that will require other parts to be changed and/or blueprinted,
> balanced, etc. ...and last, but not least, the moolah to pay for all that.
>
> Ron
> 00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD

Bridges,