Re: Was New Guy, Now FIPK

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 10:31:57 EDT

At 09:33 PM 8/17/02 -0700, you wrote:
>-- snip -- As for ram air, that isn't going to be effective 'til
>you're up beyond 120 mph.

I would agree with you on this Ron in terms of air velocity
within the intake system.

But, in terms of increasing barometric pressure when
moving, the ram air system does do this. I'm running
the Air Inlet Systems' ram air box with dual 4" air ducts,
each running up to left/right side of the rad with openings
to the air at the grille. I also have the ducts wrapped in
heat reflecting material.

As an example, at the Mopar Nats the baro. pressure
readout at a standstill was 29.4 (below sea level).
Because the map sensor is within an enclosure the
the actual baro. reading may or may not be .1 above
this. At 23 mph, the reading went up to 29.6, at 37 mph
it went to 30.7, and at 81 mph it went to 30.8 where it
stayed until the end of the run. I believe the elevation
of the track used by the Nats is 911'.

Whether this has an effect on performance, I don't know
as information in this area on how our pcms handle this
is really sparse.

Also, a couple of years ago, a DMLer did quite extensive
temperature testings with various air cleaner setups
(in the archives). Going by memory, I think his testings
showed the temps. into the intake with the ram box was
at or nearly at ambient temperatures. I don't believe
his ducts had heat reflecting material.

If anyone can add to my experiences, please do so.

Bob