RE: Counting my pennys for my next mod....

From: Nelson Colwell (nelson@neltec.com)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 17:24:53 EDT

Jon,

The thermostat only controls the MINIMUM temperature of the engine and has
nothing to do with the maximum temperature. When you first start your truck,
the stat is closed. It opens once it reaches its designated temperature
(180, or 195). If at some point, the temperature drops below this point, it
will close to keep the engine at that minimum temperature. That's why many
guys go with the cooler stat, it keeps opens up at 180 instead of 195.

The maximum temperature is purely a factor of the radiators ability to
dissipate the heat. Adding this water-wetter may enhance the properties of
the coolant to aid the radiator is dissipating heat.

Nelson C
2000 CC R/T