Howdy from the New Guy

From: Jim Wells (roadtrash52@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 00:44:30 EDT

Cooling the intake air is never the real
problem......the real problem is getting a large,
pressurized amount of cool, DRY air into the intake.
The truck's A/C compressor might handle the cooling
part, but getting that 1000cfm of air INTO the engine
ain't easy. A friend of mine and I did the
chilled-air-intake thing on his '66 Chevy van that was
running a turbocharged 350. He regularly used 12-14psi
of boost, and HAD to have the intake air cooled. We
essentially did the same thing as the Prechiller, and
it worked pretty well.

If I remember my A&P training right, the 45-deg figure
would probably cause ice to form on the downstream
surface of the throttle plate in humid conditions and
part-throttle operation -- not healthy.