runaway idle speed on 2000 slt+

From: Sammon287@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 17:59:07 EDT

  My 2000 SLT+ 4.7L/ 5 speed has an annoying problem when venturing offroad.
It has done this since new, but since I rarely hammer the truck offroad, I
have ignored it until now. When driving on a rough dirt road scattered with
small rocks, it feels like the cruise control kicks in, actually accelerating
up to 1500-2500 rpm. Stepping on the clutch lets the engine rev up to
@2500rpm, which slowly drops as I come to a stop. Standing on the brake does
nothing to drop the engine speed, as it accelerates again as soon as I
release it. Remember this is a man trans. I imagine this must be caused by
some sensor/ throttle body actuator that is affected by vibration. This would
be a major safety issue if it was an automatic, but even with the manual, it
is impossible to drive smoothly on rough roads. I am reluctant to go to the
dealer (been there several times in 2.5 years) because they will never be
able to recreate the problem. The truck wheels well at low speed (low
gearing, LSD, and decent rear axle flex) as long as there is no high
frequency vibration.