Re: R/T Rims On A Gen II

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 21:54:17 EDT

B1LLYW@aol.com wrote:

: Is anybody running R/T rims on a Gen II? I know the bolt pattern is the same
: as the Gen III. I'm just wondering about backspacing, etc. I'd like to run
: R/T rims on my Dad's (probably soon to be mine) 95 2wd, stock height truck.

  Bill,

  There was a discussion about this back in July I think it was, or
early August. You may want to check the DML archives just in case I got
something wrong. :-) Also check out the related posts about fitting the
GenIII 15x8 wheels on a GenII.

  Basically, my understanding is that it will work, but you will
need to use a 1/4" spacer. Due to the spacer, you should either
use a special type of lug nut that "reaches" into the wheel to
grab more thread, or get longer studs. (Mopar Performance sells
longer studs, but if you go that route, they are a bit larger
in diameter than the stockers so you will need to drill the holes
larger.)

  You might need to grind away part of the upper A arms, at the
back to prevent contact at full lock, and you may also need to
adjust your wheelwell slightly, to prevent rubbing. (I have been
told it is a simple mod, and you can't even tell its been done
afterwards.)

  I was thinking about going to R/T rims myself, but I am going to
go with the 15x8s instead, due to being able to get the tire size
I want, plus the rubber is a lot cheaper on a 15" rim. If he still
has them, Chris Lambert was selling a set of R/T rims recently at what
seems to me to be a very good price - $325 for the set, 3 were perfect
and one had some slight damage of some type if I recall correctly.
(Should be in the archives, sometime around July-August.)

  I have some pictures of Jeff Durling's GenII with R/T rims which
I could forward to you if you like. I also saw a GenII RC at the
Mopar Nats with R/T rims. They look very nice. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'