Re: R/T Rims On A Gen II

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 22:44:42 EDT

I have the Gen III 15x8 wheels on my Gen II.
Depending on tire size, you will be okay as far as wheel well clearance. I
have BFG 235/75-15 ATs mounted, and with a fender washer on each stud, the
tire rubs only at full lock on the cover for the upper control arm at the
front of the wheel well, and then only slightly-I really had to look for it.
Without the washers, it is much worse. The tips of the upper control arms
will hit the wheel weights if you don't file or grind them slightly. It's
tight. A 16 inch wheel, depending on offset, won't have that problem, I
think.
You will need different lug nuts, ones for custom wheels. Don't panic, get
them at Auto Zone. (well you might need to panic-lol) They are 1/2 inch
diameter, and I forget the rest, but they need to be longer-the stockers go
too far into the hole, and a wrench won't go on them. They will have a
larger bevel on them, with a small shoulder, then the hex portion. I took
one of my wheels with me, explained what I neded, and they produced the nut.
I checked the fit on the wheel, and ensured it would go on the stud. They
were perfect. A good AZ story. IIRC, I paid about $20 for all 24. Quite
reasonable.
The center caps go right on with no problems.

HTH
Jon
STL MO