4.7L Oil "access" cover,skidplate,etc. etc.

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 00:07:36 EDT

Hey! Changed my oil today. Didn`t have time to get a
Mopar filter like I normally use,so I looked through
the Fram selection at Walmart,since I was there for
Mobil 1 anyway. Gee whiz. They had about 3 1/2 google
Fram filters for my Dak. They had,let`s see......
economy guard,nominal guard,double guard,super
guard,extra super guard,premium guard micron flow
turbo,etc..... And they all ended with "16",which made
them at least kinda easy to find on the shelf. So I
decided the next to the cheapest one was at least OEM
quality,and I bought that one. ANYWAY,I started
changing the oil. I removed the skidplate,and took the
fist-sized round plug out of the access cover. I was
going to do it just like the factory intended for it
to be done. Messed around with it for twenty minutes
or so,then I pulled the whole shroud down out of there
again,just like last oil change. This time I`m not
putting it back. Think I`ll leave the skidplate
off,too. Does anyone know what the purpose is for that
access panel,why they didn`t just leave the underside
of the engine uncovered to begin with like all other
Daks? Are they afraid the power steering hoses might
get dusty on a 4.7? At first,I wondered whether that
shroud was necessary for proper engine cooling,but it
doesn`t seem to be related to the fan at all. Oh well.
Best to leave it off if you don`t know what it
does,IMHO! Steve P.

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92 limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.