Re: dead batt causes odd problem

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 10:51:09 EDT

I had the same problem, but when I called the dealer they got it right (for once) and told me to go buy a battery... I went straight to sears...

                              -Barry
MCP, A+, Network+, Server+

Contact Info:
=================
217-899-6105 Cell
217-467-8673 Page
=================

Alternate Email:
=================
barry.oliver@novanis.com
Username: barrysuperhawk
on AIM, Yahoo, MSN and AT&T Instant Messenging clients
=================

Efficiency is doing things right.
Effectiveness is doing the right things.

>>> brian.carter@texian.org 09/02/02 11:49PM >>>

A week ago, my Dak ('00 QC 4x4 4.7) started acting very weird. I could
turn it over, it would catch, and then die immediately. It seemed to be
searching for idle, going to low (400 rpm) and then would die. If I gave
it a little gas it would last a few more seconds.

There was no error either. I did a tune-up about 8 weeks ago, and I
hadn't noticed any deterioration prior to this.

If I kept my foot on the pedal I could keep it alive and stabilize it at
around 1000rpm. I could redline it without a problem, so I didn't see
how it could be fuel delivery.

I figured it was something that would require a computer to figure out.
I go to Mexico all the time, so I thought I had blocked a sensor, or
fouled something that was keeping the ECM from getting the right data.
Anyway, I desperately needed the truck the next day (to go to
Monterrey), so I gave up and took it to the dealer.

They came back saying that the TB was fouled and that the battery was
weak. They did a fuel induction service (cleaned the injectors and TB),
which it probably needed; but the real problem was the battery. Even
after the fuel induction service, it still searched for idle (although
it would run) - I swapped in the new battery and voila...perfect.

The low voltage (around 9) was causing the computer to loose its memory
(the search for idle), and kept resetting the code, so no engine code
appeared. I felt real stupid, but it really didn't act like any dead
battery I ever saw.

--BTC