Re: swapping a 5.2 for a 4.7 or 4.7HO

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 11:01:48 EDT

"Carter, Brian" <brian.carter@texian.org> wrote:

: This isn't directly a Dakota, but the engines are the same.

: I have a '94 Grand Cherokee at over 134K miles. It is starting to burn a
: little oil. I need to do a compression check to see if I can get by with
: a valve job, or if I need to completely overhaul it. Anyway, I was
: thinking about just swapping it for a 4.7 like I have in my Dakota.

: The 4.7 has been an awesome engine for me (71K in less than two years!).
: I love it. I could even look for a 4.7HO from some junked Jeep GC.

: Does anyone know of anybody who tried this or any insight into how
: difficult this might be compared to a rebuild?

: The GC is real comfortable and I would like to keep it around for
: several years for longer trips and just to keep miles off my Dak.
: Obviously, for long trips, I want it to be reliable.

  I've never tried this swap, but I think the biggest problem you
will run into is the transmission. The 3.9/5.2/5.9 motors have
a different pattern than the 3.7/4.7/5.7. Maybe if you found
a wrecked GC and could pull the engine and transmission that
would make it a bit easier. I don't know enough about it to know
if your current transmission could be economically adapted to the
4.7, but I do know its not a bolt-on.

  Of course, if you do the swap, you would also want to get
the entire wiring harness and computer. This might cause some
problems with the gauges, I suspect a GC with a 4.7 probably has
electric gauges as opposed to mostly manual in '94.

  The easiest thing would be a rebuild, or dropping a 5.9 in
probably wouldn't be too bad, you could probably just drop it
in (might need to play with the motor mounts a bit and the
crank balancing) but you should be able to use your existing wiring
harness, and just plug in a '94 360 computer. (Your current computer
would probably run the 360, but it would be better with the proper
PCM.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'